BELLOWS FALLS ITINERARY
A| 6.2 Miles; approx. 20 minutes
Start: Bellows Falls Byway Waypoint Center (17 Depot Street, Bellows Falls, VT)
- Travel south on Depot Street to cross the canal. Turn right onto Canal Street.
- Take a sharp left onto Rockingham Street. After visiting the downtown area, continue to Westminster Street.
- Travel US-5 south. At Westminster Station, turn left onto VT-123 to cross the Connecticut River into Walpole, New Hampshire.
- Turn right onto NH-12 south. Turn left onto South Street at the blinking light to Walpole Village.
- Stay right to stay on South Street. Turn left onto Main Street. Turn left onto Westminster Street to park on the Common near Elm Street.
Finish: Walpole Common (near Walpole Town Hall, 34 Elm Street, Walpole, NH)
Attractions and Detours along the way: Bellows Falls Village (including first chartered canal in the United States; Adams Grist Mill; TransCanada fish ladder); Walpole Village (including the town common; the churches;Walpole Historical Society; Old Academy Museum; Walpole Artisans Cooperative); Saxtons River Village; Hall Covered Bridge
B| 12.5 miles; 25 minutes
Start: Walpole Common (near Walpole Town Hall, 34 Elm Street, Walpole, NH)
- Take Elm Street north and turn left onto Main Street.
- Turn right onto NH-12 north to North Walpole.
- Stay on NH-12 until you reach Charlestown.
Finish: Charlestown (near Silsby Free Library, 226 Main Street, Charlestown, NH)
Attractions and Detours along the way: view of Fall Mountain; view of Ascutney Mountain across the Connecticut River; Charlestown Historic Downtown (including Town Hall on Summer Street); McDermott Covered Bridge on NH-123A; Prentiss Covered Bridge (on Old Cheshire Turnpike); Pine Street boat landing in North Walpole
C|13.2 miles; 30 minutes
Start: Charlestown (near Silsby Free Library, 226 Main Street, Charlestown, NH)
- Continue on NH-12 north and turn left onto NH-11 west/Springfield Road. Take the bridge over the Connecticut River and immediately turn right onto US-5 north.
- Take first right onto Old Connecticut River Road and continue until you rejoin US-5 north. Continue on US-5 north and take a sharp left onto the Skitchewaug Trail (VT-143 west).
- Follow VT-143 west until you reach downtown Springfield, where you stay left down the hill at the end of VT-143. Turn left onto Main Street (VT-11 east).
Finish: Springfield (near Springfield Town Library, 43 Main Street, Springfield, VT)
Attractions and Detours along the way: Fort at No. 4 in Charlestown; Hoyt’s Landing; Springfield Historic District (including the Gallery at the VAULT State Craft Center; Great Hall Gallery; Miller Art Center; Comtu Cascade Park); Patch Park in Charlestown; Weathersfield Bow (continue on US-5 north); Skyline Drive; Eureka Cemetery (from Eureka Road); Crown Point Military Road; Hartness Park, (access from VT-143)
D|13.7 miles; 25 minutes
Start: Springfield (near Springfield Town Library, 43 Main Street, Springfield, VT)
- Continue on VT-11 east. Before you reach Interstate 91, take a right onto US-5 south.
- Continue on US-5 south to Bellows Falls by turning left when you reach the intersection with VT-103 south.
- Continue on US-5 south, turning left onto Depot Street to bring you back to the Bellows Falls Byway Waypoint Center.
Finish: Bellows Falls Byway Waypoint Center (17 Depot Street, Bellows Falls, VT)
Attractions and Detours along the way: Eureka School House; Baltimore Covered Bridge (on the left off VT-11 between Springfield and US-5); Toonerville Trail (parallel to VT-11); Herricks Cove on Herricks Cove Road (off US-5 in Rockingham); Rockingham Meeting House and Cemetery; Worrall Covered Bridge; Bartonsville Covered Bridge; Parker Hill Historic District; Brockway Mills Gorge
Bellows Falls Downtown Development Alliance
Bellows Falls Neighborhood Historic District Self Guided Walking Tour
Connecticut River Heritage Trail
Eureka Schoolhouse and Baltimore Covered Bridge
Fort at No. 4
Gallery at the VAULT (State Craft Center)
Great Falls Regional Chamber of Commerce
Rockingham Arts and Museum Project
Springfield Art and Historical Society
Springfield Chamber of Commerce
Springfield on the Move
Walpole Artisans Cooperative
Walpole Historical Society