The Ely Railroad Depot, located on Route 5 South in Ely Village, once played a vital role in transporting raw materials for The Vermont Copper Mining Company, the largest copper mining operation in the world during the late 19th Century.
Alumni Hall, built in 1846 at a cost of $4,500 for use as Grafton County Courthouse, was considered to be one of the best courthouses in New Hampshire at the time, showcasing its two-story, classic monumental Greek revival brick structure with a portico and pointed arched windows.
Woodsville Opera Block is a commanding commercial building, defined by Central Street on the north and Court Street on the east, standing three stories tall with street level storefronts, upper level offices and expansive opera wing.
Every New England covered bridge has a story … creation, survival, or destruction and resurrection. However, the story of the Bath-Haverhill Covered Bridge is all about longevity. According to official documents on file with the New Hampshire Department of Transportation, this 1829-built bridge is the oldest covered bridge in New Hampshire, as well as the first and only bridge to be constructed at its location on New Hampshire Route 135.
The Bath Covered Bridge, or Bath Bridge, was constructed in 1832 and spans the Ammonoosuc River. The Bridge is listed in the World Guide to Covered Bridges, and was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The Village of Wells River, Vermont is located at the meeting of the Connecticut and Wells Rivers. These two tributaries heavily influenced the industry and development patterns in the Village and thanks to an abundance of water power and access to the Connecticut River, the community became a successful mill town and transportation hub.
The Bayley Historic District is one of six historic districts found in Newbury, Vermont, named in honor of the Bayley family. General Jacob Bayley (1726-1815) was founder of Newbury and a prominent military figure in Vermont’s history, known for his role in the construction of the Bayley-Hazen military supply route during the American Revolution.
One hundred years ago a devastating fire, fueled by high winds, moved through the center of Newbury, Vermont, situated in a north-south running valley below the commanding Mt. Pulaski. The Newbury Village Historic District represents two major eras of building construction – those before 1860 and those constructed after the 1913 fire.
Of the three historic districts in Newbury, the West Newbury Village Historic District is the most isolated and rural, consisting of 14 main structures that date from the early 19th century to the early 20th century, most of which are of wooden construction.
The Bradford Village Historic District geographically encompasses the Village’s business district, the area around the falls of the Waits River where much of the early industries in the village were located, and adjacent residential areas to the north and west.
The Samuel Morey Memorial Bridge, spanning the Connecticut River between the towns of Fairlee, Vermont and Orford, New Hampshire, is a steel “tied through arch” bridge with a 432-foot span and 85-foot arches.