WHITE RIVER JUNCTION ITINERARY
A| 5.3 Miles; approx. 20 minutes
Start: White River Junction Waypoint Center (100 Railroad Row, White River Junction, VT)
- Travel northwest out of Railroad Row and turn right onto Bridge Street.
- Turn left at the light onto VT-14/US-4, then turn right at the next light onto US-5 north towards Wilder.
- Continue on US-5 through Wilder and turn left at the T-junction to stay on US-5 into Norwich.
Finish: Norwich (near Town Hall, 300 Main Street, Norwich, VT)
Attractions and Detours along the way: White River Junction (including Main Street Museum; B & M Locomotive #494); Hazen Homestead; Hazen Trail between Hartford and Norwich; Norwich Village (known for food-related events and establishments); Quechee Gorge; view of historic stone railroad bridge from Lyman Point Park; Kilowatt Park; Montshire Museum of Science
B| 15.8 miles; 25 minutes
Start: Norwich (near Town Hall, 300 Main Street, Norwich, VT)
- Turn right to stay on US-5 north to East Thetford.
- Take a right onto Pavillion Road for a short detour parallel to US-5 and return on to US-5 by bearing right after the railroad tracks.
- Turn left onto VT-113 to go west to Thetford Center.
Finish: Thetford Hill, VT (near Thetford Hill Library, 16 Library Road, Thetford Center, VT)
Attractions and Detours along the way: Smarts Mountain; East Thetford Village; Thetford Hill Village; Gile Mountain Trail (off Turnpike Road in Norwich); Ompompanoosuc river access; Thetford Center Bridge on Tucker Hill Road; Union Village Covered Bridge and Dam
C| 32 miles; 55 minutes
Start: Thetford Hill, VT (near Thetford Hill Library, 16 Library Road, Thetford Center, VT)
- Continue west on VT-113, and turn right onto VT-244 east.
- Turn right onto US-5 south towards Norwich.
- Turn left onto 113 east into Lyme.
- Turn right onto NH-10 south. Go around green in Hanover to stay on NH-10 south.
Finish: Hanover (near Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce, 53 South Main Street, Hanover, NH)
Attractions and Detours along the way: Thetford Center Village; Historic Pratt Truss Bridge; Lyme Village; Hanover (including Dartmouth College buildings; the Green; Hood Museum of Art); High’s Brook boat launch in Lyme off River Road; Storrs Pond Recreation Area; Wilson’s Landing;
Ledyard Bridge; Sphinx Tomb
D| 4.4 miles; 10 minutes
Start: Hanover (near Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce, 53 South Main Street, Hanover, NH)
- Continue on NH-10 south of Hanover, towards West Lebanon.
- At the traffic light in West Lebanon turn right onto Route 4 west, following signs for White River Junction, VT.
- After crossing the river, turn left at the traffic light onto Bridge Street. Cross the bridge and turn left onto Railroad Row to the Welcome Center.
Finish: White River Junction Waypoint Center (100 Railroad Row, White River Junction, VT)
Attractions and Detours along the way: Wilder Dam pull off; Boston Lot Lake Recreation Area;
NH-120 or US-4 to Lebanon historic downtown; Northern Rail Trail from Lebanon to Grafton
Connecticut River Heritage Trail
Dartmouth Outing Club
Greater Lebanon Area Chamber of Commerce
Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce
Hartford Area Chamber of Commerce
Hartford Historic District Tour Brochures
Hood Museum of Art
Montshire Museum of Science
Northern Rail Trail
Norwich Historic Walking Tour
Upper Valley Land Trust Trails
Valley Food and Farm